Sanders Mortuary, one of Newberry’s two funeral homes first opened it’s doors to business in 1938 at 846 Diamond Street by Roy and Ruth Sanders.
In 1931, the Reverend Frank H. Sanders was appointed to serve as Pastor of Saint John’s United Methodist Church in Newberry. The Sanders family, who previously resided in York, PA., moved into the church parsonage, which was located at 821 Funston Avenue, at that time. Reverend Sanders and his wife, Sadie, had six children. The oldest, Paul, died during the flu epidemic of 1918. LeRoy, Marshall, Frank, Jr., Martha Jean and Mary Jane settled into the parsonage on Funston Avenue.
Roy graduated from the Williamsport High School in 1932 and then attended business college. He then graduated from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and returned to Williamsport and served his apprenticeship with the former Redmond Funeral Home.
In 1938 he opened his own Funeral Home business at 846 Diamond Square. He continued helping at Redmond’s Funeral Home and also assisted Seymour Knight who operated a funeral home at 2116 West Fourth Street, that was later to become the office of Dr. Warren Hayes.